Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Of Vampires, Love, & Demon Hunters

Insatiable
by Meg Cabot

Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .

If she even has one


All Twilight/vampire haters - read this book. Actually all vampire lovers read this book too. For some reason it manages to appeal to both groups. Meg Cabot even manages to pull off different points of view throughout the book (which isn't normally successful for books).


*Warning (A Few Not Very Spoilerish) Spoilers Ahead*


Okay, so there were a ton of fabulous quotes in this book, I'll put a few in my review, but I can't remember them all- so you'll have to read it to find the rest. I found myself laughing out loud and being thoroughly amused many a time (I would often look around in giddiness to share my amusement only to find myself alone in the room- awkward...)


Okay so I figured out this isn't a YA book...which explains some of the content. I originally thought this was YA lit, but..yeah. So there is some scenes in the book that I skipped over when I came to them, because I just don't like them. And I find it awkward...anyway without all that the book would have been better for me, but that's a personal preference. This paragraph is getting awkward so I'm moving on....


Now about the characters!


Meena Harper is a little quirky and not so enthralled by vampires. All she really wants is to be promoted to head writer, own that red dragon tote, and live happily ever after with Jack Bauer (her dog). Sometimes I was wondering why she did the things she did, but hey that's how many a female protagonists act. She's quirky, and I'm sure you lovely readers will enjoy her spunk.

Lucien...he's the prince of darkness. Need I say more? ...Fine I will, but only because you said please. Ah yes, the vampire for our vampire story. What to say? Oh I know - HE TURNS INTO A DRAGON!!!! Sorry I just thought that was genius. It was some pretty crazy stuff- and I enjoyed Dragon-Lucien trying to protect Meena, it was great. Good times had by all...well not really, the characters had it pretty rough, but I was enjoying it! SO Lucien has the whole I'm a tortured soul thing that everyone is going crazy for these days. He tries to stop himself from falling for Meena but that fails and he decides/realizes she's the one who can rescue him. He loves her. Like a lot. Like I'm-going-to-do-crazy-things-with-my-enormous-amounts-of-money-to-win-you-over, turn-you-into-a-vampire, mess-with-your-judgement, and stalk-you-until-you-agree-to-be-with-me-forever. He also has family issues- remember tortured soul. He basically has this dark, powerful vampire ruler side and this "I love Meena" side. I will give him this- he has made the vampire population do what he says and stop killing people like crazy. He's like a nice, controlling vampire prince...


On to the demon hunter and third party in the (sort of) love triangle. Alaric, oh how I adore you. I think he has some of the best quotes. He just says/does the greatest things.
Like:
"Do not listen to her," Alaric said. "She is going to tell you in some kind of code only the two of you will understand, because you are siblings, to call the police on your cell phone. But if you do that, I will kill you and dispose of your body in a place where no one will find it. The river, I think. Your doorman is so stupid, he won't notice if I leave this building carrying a body in a rolled-up carpet."


or


"...vampires were stupid. Especially American vampires. They hung out in places Alaric himself would never have gone, especially if he were immortal. Such as high schools. And Walmart. If Alaric were a vampire-and that was never going to happen...-he'd step it up. Target, maybe."
See what I mean?
Not only that but he has a Goofy watch (as in Goofy from Disney!). He's just so blunt and slightly random. He's got really top-of-the-line, expensive preferences- but he's a sort of "self-made man". And I mean, he carries a SWORD! Like a real, I-can-kill-you sword.Winning? I think yes. Has anyone discovered who I like best? Yeah I thought so.

Anyway this is a good read for those riding the vampire wave and those running for higher ground (and books that at least make vampires amusing).

Rating:
-Gomez

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...