Thursday, June 2, 2011

Of Rings, Royalty, & Pickpocketing

The Faerie Ring  by Kiki Hamilton


The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.
Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.
Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…


So let me just say that if this book was a cookie it would be one of those fresh out the oven gooey chocolate chip cookies that you consume in like two bites. In other words, I really, REALLY enjoyed reading The Faerie Ring. 


Warning: Spoilers below
 (because I HAVE to talk about my adoration of this book and plot censoring is now beyond my capacity)



Tiki is really genuine character. While I don't recommend readers quit their jobs and make a living pick pocketing, this life fits Tiki. She's just the right amount of tough, spunk, girly, and caring to be a really likable heroine. I really want to know what happened to her, her past must be bad. She lives on the street, isn't very trusting, and yet she's very caring. Her intentions are so good, despite the horrible aftermath. The birth mark on her arm, and the fact that she's faerie royalty are big draws to bring readers back. I mean right at the end it's like "you're royalty...to be continued". I was a little stunned. I really liked how Tiki was so brave in front of those around her, whether it be faerie's trying to kill her, the prince, the police/authorities in general, or Rieker.


Speaking of Rieker, I have to admit I may like this book so much because of him. I actually figured out that particular plot twist about his identity a paragraph before he revealed it...which isn't all that impressive. The fact that he was trying to help the orphans on the streets really made Rieker, or should I say Will, a genuinely likable guy. He really goes out of his way to protect her because she's his life raft. After losing almost everything and going through such a rough time, Tiki puts happiness back into his life. The moment when Will tells Tiki about his first impressions of her and how he feels was a very sweet moment to me. Tiki understands his pain, since she lost her parents as well.


I found the plot to be really smooth, there wasn't any crazy side story that didn't connect to the story. Everything that happened was important. Even stuff that I skimmed over at first turned out to be important! Seriously, pay attention to the details. You can thank me later.


One aspect of The Faerie Ring that rubs me slightly in the wrong way is....just kidding I really enjoyed the book and anything I might have had a problem with was solved when I realized IT'S A SERIES!!!! Oh yeah, that's right. More dashing royalty, life on the streets, quick witted squabbles, faerie mysteries, and romance. I'm excited- I know you are too.


And what makes this book and Ms. Hamilton SO amazing is this: Faerie Ring Website. A whole website devoted to the series with cool stuff- go amaze yourself.




*Things I'm dying to know about:
- Tiki/Will relationship (is Leo going to make this a love triangle?)
- the markings on her wrist (faerie royalty?!?!!?)
- so really, when are we headed back to the faerie world? (it's got to happen)
- is Larkin coming back? (I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of her)
- info on Tiki's background/family
- more on the stories of the orphans


WAIT! It get's better! Thanks to Kiki Hamilton and co. you can view this amazing trailer:













And for those you who need to know exactly how long until you can buy a copy here you go:





Rating:
-Gomez

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...