Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Of Love, Murder, & Madness

Across the Universe
by Beth Revis
"Erases genre boundaries with a murder mystery, a budding romance, and a dystopian world"



Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir.


A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Amy and Her Parents Are Cryogenically Frozen

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awake on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into a brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.


Okay so I have to give props to Ms. Revis for writting a Harry-Potter-sized book that is set in outer space. That is pure genius. The plot had me thinking I knew the culprit then doubting myself, so that was pretty legit as well. Plus, Ms. Revis gets brownie points for making the book a two persepective story because, if you don't know already, those stories are pretty awesome.


Now, on to my feelings about the story itself. The conflict of interest between EVERYONE in the story was cool and unusual. I loved how Amy is like the "I'm not taking cap from anyone" kinda girl. Plus the fact that she has her funny moments just makes her all the more likable. Elder, on the other hand, was a bit confusing for me. There were times where I was like "Stupid" then times when I was like "Okay, he is understanding" but I guess if my life sucked as much as his did I would be like that, too.

On now to Eldest, Doc, and Orion. Simple enought: Eldest = douche bag to the infinity power with a Hitler twist. Doc = just a sucker in the system. And Orion = beastly beyond comparison...that is until the end. These characters were the ones that had me in doubt all the time, but they kept to the script and continued to make eveyone's lives suck.

Ms. Revis, the idea to have a spaceship-thingy that is transporting original Earth dwellers who are frozen to Centauri-Earth but no one knows that they are even on the ship is GREAT! That right there and the mystery of who really did the evil deeds are why I continued to read the book. Even if I did skip some parts that I felt like it was just blah blah blah.

The idea for the plot is brillant. Every character has a role on Godspeed and in the story and that is what I like most.

Overall, this book was rated:
- Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...