Friday, August 26, 2011

Of Confusion, Teens, & Brooklyn

Brooklyn Burning by Steve Brezenoff 


When you’re sixteen and no one understands who you are, sometimes the only choice left is to run. If you’re lucky, you find a place that accepts you, no questions asked. And if you’re really lucky, that place has a drum set, a place to practice, and a place to sleep. For Kid, the streets of Greenpoint, Brooklyn, are that place. Over the course of two scorching summers, Kid falls hopelessly in love and then loses nearly everything and everyone worth caring about. But as summer draws to a close, Kid finally finds someone who can last beyond the sunset.


I feel so ashamed. When I got this book I was like, "Wow, this guy is a genius. The whole idea of not knowing the gender of the main characters will be sooo cool." But, then I started reading it and realized that I was so upset. I couldn't get into the book because I DIDN'T KNOW THE GENDER! So upsetting to find that out about myself. But, on the bright side, I did read enough that I can tell you that the writing is phenomenal! 


Steve Brezenoff's writing is so detailed, especially for a book where you couldn't tell whether the characters were two guys, two girls, or a guy and a girl. He found a way to describe a character enough where you were satisfied because you have some sort of picture to follow as you read, but kept the mystery of the gender. I personally need the gender (as I just found out :( ) to read a book. I was getting distracted from the characters because I couldn't categorize them, but that just shows how ingenious Steve is :). 

I wouldn't tell so one not to read this book, because it is worth it, but if you have to know the gender of the characters to read then it might take you some time to get through this book. I plan on finishing the rest of it eventually, but I might need to skip to the end so that I can cheat a little ;).

Overall, this book rated:
- Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...