Thursday, September 15, 2011

Of Speakeasies, Forbidden Romance, & Betrayal


Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Jazz . . . Booze . . . Boys . . . It’s a dangerous combination.
 Every girl wants what she can’t have. Seventeen-year-old Gloria Carmody wants the flapper lifestyle—and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she’s engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago’s most powerful families, Gloria’s party days are over before they’ve even begun . . . or are they? 
Clara Knowles, Gloria’s goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make sure the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch—but Clara isn’t as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she’ll do anything to keep hidden. . . .  
Lorraine Dyer, Gloria’s social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria’s shadow. When Lorraine’s envy spills over into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone’s going to be very sorry. . . . 

What can I say about Vixen besides its smoking. This title definitely speaks for the book because if I looked in the dictonary right now I'd probably see refer to Jillian Larkin's book. It was sultry and compelling, I just couldn't stop reading. The beginning was a bit slow for me, especially after reading that intriguing prologue, but it picked up as it continued. 



Like always, the thing that draws me into a book is the dialect and how the author paints a picture with their words. Jillian has done so and more. The detail made me feel like I was a third party observer looking on all the action (whether it be a bit naughty or nice). I am definitely feeling the speech in this book too! I found myself saying some of the phrases out of the book and people would look at me like I was crazy, LOL. All I could say was: That's the word, doll. Now scram! My best friend said that I was acting like I fell out of a 20s book which I had! The Chicago of the 1920s to be exact. :) 


From flappers, speakeasies, and gangster there was always something to catch your attention. Along with the added romance between Jerome and Gloria, Lorraine's envious jealousy, Clara's dark secret, and Sebastian's possible alter-ego there wasn't ever time to be bored. Oh and did I mention how the books from the perspective of THREE GIRLS??? Talk about a whirlwind: from Gloria to Lorraine to Clara and back! But, that just made the book more interesting! :) I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction because Jillian Larkin is making some good stuff!!!


Overall, this book rated:
- Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...