Thursday, April 14, 2011

Of Ghosts, Cowboys, & Witchcraft


Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.




When I first read the back of Texas Gothic I was puzzled. Cowboys, witches, and ghosts? I could not imagine how Rosemary Clement-Moore was going to make this work. But my interest was caught and I decided to give it a try.


Decision = Great! =)



Oh my goodness you should read this book! Put your reservations aside, grab the book, and be amazed. Seriously this book had me turning pages as fast as I could and hanging on the edge of my seat. You will be entrapped by Ms. Clement-Moore's writing and the puzzle-like plot.


About the actual plot...seriously I was guessing up until the end about almost everything. I often thought I knew what was going on with the ghost but then PLOT TWIST, and I was back to square one. The mystery is very original. I also smiled at the fact that there was a little bit of a history lesson going on about what happened with Spanish missionaries in Texas.


My despair was short lived though because I would be distracted by Ben and Amy...or Amy's quirky, yet super smart sister. I knew from the moment that Ben met Amy, who was in the process of yelling at a cow in her underwear, their relationship was going to entertain and torture me to no end. They have the whole "separate worlds, but pulled together" thing going for them. I give a hats off to Ms. Clement-Moore for this dynamic duo, though. A rugged cowboy and a strong-headed witch? Now that's legit. I do wish for just a pinch more about their relationship at the end. BUT! That truly is just me, the ending is good as is. All of the plot lines were resolved and it was tied up nicely.


On the note about magic- it was gracefully done. Magic was not some out-there-over-the-top thing, it was very real (or as real as you can make it- unless it really is real...). I particularly enjoyed the way the Goodnight products were "just like magic". Witches with a good sense of humor = success. I found the bits about the effects of certain ingredients to be quite intriquing, or funny as in the case with lavender. I felt like the fact that the Goodnights' had abilities was subtly present throughout th ebook, but that the magic was never flashy or gaudy.


Truly a great read.


Rating:
-  Gomez 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...